Thursday, May 12, 2011

Challenge

Summer's begun and it comes with its own challenges. Looking for a summer job is one of them. I applied to two Christian summer camps in Ohio and was hoping to be hired by one of them, but that didn't happen. I found out that I had been turned down by one of the camps in April but I just found out about the other camp today because the letter I was supposed to get in the mail never arrived, so I finally called on Monday, waited expectantly, and called again today to find out that my references had not all been turned in on time, so I wasn't given the job. Now I need to look for work elsewhere. I'm stressed out and depressed, so please pray for me! Thank you! Tonight I also learned of my grades for the past semester, and I was rather depressed. Two of my grades surprised me. My Speech grade was much worse than I thought it would be, but my Illustration grade was much better than I thought it would be. I guess those all-nighters paid off! I'm going to be making changes in my life, including getting more sleep and giving up the internet for a while so that I can focus on classes. These changes can only happen with God's strength and power. I would appreciate prayer as I seek to do God's will in my life.

Even in the midst of my disappointment and failure, I've been learning more about God and following him. This week I've been reading Stormie Omartian's autobiography, and I'm astounded how God turned her life around, but then, that's what he always does if we let him, isn't it? I'm guilty of doubting God's omnipotence. Yes, I believe without a doubt that God is powerful, but I was having trouble believing that he is all-powerful. However, after reading Stormie's account of her life, well most of it anyways, (and I can't wait to read the rest!), I've been convicted of my doubt and now I have a better understanding of how much power God has. My view of God is tiny and skewed and I'm amazed how much I learn about him each and every day. If God can take someone with a physically and emotionally abusive past and give them forgiveness for their abusive mom, then God can do ANYTHING. 

The highest angelic powers stand in awe of God.
He is far more awesome than all who surround his throne.
-Psalm 89:7 {NLT}

"I am a Redeemer. I redeem all things. I make all things new. Whatever you've lost I will restore. It doesn't matter what you've done. It doesn't matter what's happened to you. I can take all the hurt, the pain, and the scars. Not only can I heal them, but I can make them count for something."
-God to Stormie Omartian

I love Stormie's word on forgiveness: "Forgiveness doesn't make the other person right, it makes you free." We're enslaved by our sins and the sins of others until we ask Christ for his forgiveness and we forgive those who have wronged us. It's a process that can take a long time, but God can restore our broken, scarred lives wholly.

In Christ,
Jessica

5 comments:

  1. praying for you sister. God's grace is sufficient!

    ReplyDelete
  2. wow, good words. you are definitely in my prayers! the stuff you are going through obviously means God has bigger and better plans in store than what you could imagine! (not that it makes it easy to go though, though, im sure!)
    thanks for sharing that quote on forgiveness as well...such a great take on forgiveness!

    Megan :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. We're actually going through a sermon about forgiveness at our church. Forgiving frees you, because it's not forgetting, but letting go. It's hard and sometimes painful, but worth it. And with Him, we can make it happen. Grateful for a loving, merciful Savior who makes all things new -- He is my redeemer, and worthy to be praised!

    Have a lovely day!
    --Hannah

    ReplyDelete
  4. what a lovely post. isn't it great that we can forgive others because the great debt we owe to God was all cancelled out on the cross? Christ is amazing :) xx

    ReplyDelete
  5. Thank you everyone for your thoughtful comments and for the prayers! :)

    Yes, Christ is amazing!

    ReplyDelete